- On Monday August 18, 2014 the NYS AFL-CIO C.O.P.E. Convention in New York City was attended by delegates NCCFT President Debra DeSanto, Carmine DeSanto, Dawn Smith and Donna Hope.
- Over 1,000 delegates and alternates attended the convention of which NYSUT, an affiliate of the state AFL-CIO, was represented at the convention by nearly 400 delegates.
- Because of the strong numbers of participants, solidarity and support, we successfully carried our message from NYSUT’s Endorsement Conference to the NYS AFL-CIO. This is proof that our Union is strongest when our members are engaged and mobilized.
- There are 63 Senate and 150 Assembly races to watch in 2014. The New York State AFL-CIO endorsed state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and state Comptroller Tom DiNapoli for reelection this fall.
- One of the most heated challenges was that of Senate District 8. Dave Dennenberg won the endorsement by a tight two-thirds vote.
- Notably missing from the list was Andrew Cuomo, a Democratwho was endorsed in 2010. The New York State AFL-CIO did not endorse Cuomo in the race for governor. Democratic candidates have long relied on support from organized labor, but Cuomo has had a more contentious relationship with unions.
Our Political Action Committee (PAC) will be posting the list of recommended endorsements in the near future.